"I was laying there, like I always do on Monday mornings, when these things went flying past my face," said Brennan Johnson, 14 weeks. "I was like 'Whoa, where did those come from?' It kind of caught me off guard. I almost pooped my pants."
Johnson quickly solved the mystery. Those flying things turned out, in fact, to be Johnson's own hands. They have been attached to his arms since birth. He just never noticed.Once Johnson figured out that his hands were his, he spent the next several hours trying to operate them.
"It's not as easy as it looks," the baby said. "I can do a lot of things -- coo, kick, and I do a hilarious Sarah Palin impression -- but I don't know about this whole hands thing. It's pretty tough."
Johnson said that he can get his hands into his field of vision, but every time he tries to bring them towards his mouth they suddenly veer off in random directions.
Sometimes they land on a cheek and every once in a while, one of the hands will find the other. Johnson has heard of some babies who actually use their hands to do things such as shake a rattle or put food in their mouths.
"I saw one video on YouTube of this kid in Texas. He not only uses his hands to grab things, but then he uses his LEGS to walk," Johnson said. "Until now I thought those babies were urban legends. I still think it might be fake."
As daunting as it may be seem, Johnson's parents have nothing but confidence in their son.

"I remember when I couldn't use my hands," said Justin Johnson, Brennan's father. "Shoot, somedays I still have a hard time using them and I have to ask my wife to do things like clean the house or cook me dinner."
Kelly Johnson said that her son has been exceeding expectations since the day he was born.
"There's nothing average about Brennan Johnson," she said with a tear in her eye. "I mean since day one he's actually been below average (in height and weight). But that doesn't stop him from livin'."
For now, Brennan Johnson said he'll just keep trying to use his hands and hope for the best.
"I'm just so grateful I was paying attention that day," Johnson said. "You know, it's like I always say 'You never know what you can do until you try.'"
1 comment:
It looks like he actually took his own picture! Well, he is after all, my grandson. In fact, the truth is he is the one who wrote the article because his real mom was herself always smaller and shorter, and well her arms never did get long enough to reach the keyboard, so I taught Brennan how to do it and wouldn't you know, gosh darn it, he picked it right up. Now his mom likes to sit around and remember when she lived in Spokane and she could see Idaho from her house.
Post a Comment